WIRELESS INTERNET ACCESS
The College offers Eduroam and OWL (Oxford Wireless LAN) wireless in all its buildings. Eduroam is available throughout Oxford as well as some 6,000 “hotspots” on the planet – mainly academic and research institutions. OWL is an Oxford only network which requires a VPN client.
Both Eduroam and OWL use your REMOTE ACCESS account to authenticate.
Eduroam is an international federation of academic institutions which allows its users to visit other participating institutions and use the same username and password as they would use at their home institution. Our wireless access points are configured to broadcast the settings of this service.
We strongly recommend Eduroam to all our Staff, Fellows and Students – once configured you can connect to free wireless all over Oxford as well as other Eduroam hotspots around the UK and the rest of the world.
The advantage of Eduroam wireless over the OWL wireless is that :
- you don’t have to run VPN software to get online;
- you don’t have to keep typing your password in each time you want to connect;
- it is available all over Oxford – as well as Educational Institutions around the UK and other parts of world;
- it is also available in some hospitals – eg the John Radcliffe here in Oxford
Read our Get Connected – Cheatsheet
OWL – OXFORD WIRELESS LAN (Oxford ONLY)
OWL uses your REMOTE ACCESS credentials and Cisco VPN software. Use your computer’s wireless adapter to find and connect to an OWL access point in College and then download the Cisco VPN software from :
The Cisco VPN software provides all the authorisation, encryption and accounting that is required for the OWL network. For detailed instructions, including screenshots, on how to configure the VPN software and how to use it follow the links below.
Install and configure the Cisco VPN software :
Learn more about the University OWL wireless service :
OWL Troubleshooting – for Conference delegates
- Restart your web browser and try visiting a non-https address
- Try using a different web browser
- Your IP Address and DNS settings must be set to obtain settings automatically.
- There must be no Proxy server settings in place
- Try connecting to a wired port
- NB – OWL Visitor login credentials can only be used on one device at a time
The_Cloud – for Public access and visitors to College
Sky Wifi (known as “The_Cloud”) is also available for visitors to the College. The_Cloud is not controlled by the College, but connection is straight forward – just connect to the The_Cloud network and follow the on-screen instructions.