OOPS – WHAT HAPPENED?
- First and foremost – Have you got a backup of your work and personal stuff?
- Is there anything on your computer that you need urgently?
- Do you think you have a hardware or software problem?
- Hardware – Is your computer still in warranty?
- Software – do you have your recovery / install disks?
IT OFFICE – HERE TO HELP
Send us an email or give us a call and we can arrange a meeting – either over Microsoft Teams or a physical meetup.
Telephone: (01865 2) 79205 (Monday to Friday between 9am and 3pm)
WHERE ELSE CAN YOU GET HELP?
Central Oxford University IT services can help as well:
or by phone (01865 6) 12345
Your computer’s manufacturer’s website or telephone support
IT SERVICES COMPUTER BREAKDOWN SERVICE
If you do not have extended warranty on your computer when you come to Oxford or if your warranty expires whilst at Oxford, you can take advantage of the University Computer Breakdown Service. IT Services offers a very economically priced breakdown service for PC and Apple Macintosh personal computers, as well as their peripherals (including iPods). It is available to students on a personal basis for their privately owned equipment. For a modest annual fee, the service provides for an engineer to visit on-site within approximately 8 working hours of a fault being reported and the fault should be fixed within a further 8 working hours, or, in most cases, an equivalent item of equipment will be offered as a loan until the repair is completed.
Full description of the Computer Breakdown Service including prices: https://help.it.ox.ac.uk/computer-hardware-breakdown-service
Something to seriously think about is extended warranty and accidental damage cover for your laptop. You will be transporting your computer from home to College six times a year, also, as you know, laptops are very portable and have a tendency to leap from desks and bags. Also beware the infamous Oxford English Dictionary which has been known to jump from shelves on to many an unsuspecting laptop! Port bottles also seem to be in cahoots with the OED!
APPLE REPAIRS – OUT OF WARRANTY
If you are looking for alternatives to IT Services then here is a list of the most convenient places we are aware of:
- Mac Simple – Osney Mead (http://macsimple.co.uk) – for non-Warranty repairs
- Western Computers – Gloucester Green, Oxford (http://www.western.co.uk/stores/oxford.aspx) – for warranty and non-warranty repairs (NB – repairs are sent to Western’s Bristol office – make sure you have a backup before sending it away).
- Amsys – London (http://www.amsys.co.uk/mac-repairs/book-repair/) – for warranty and non-warranty repairs
- Any Apple Store Genius Bar, the nearest being in High Wycombe, Reading and Milton Keynes
- Or London – buses to London are available right outside main College.
If all else fails…
You may need to look for a replacement computer … Buying a computer