FRESHERS – Welcome to the Queen’s College!
RETURNERS – Welcome back!
The start of a new academic year is a busy time for students, academics and College staff.
So before things get really hectic have a read through our IT tips and reminders below…
“COMING UP” SUMMARY
- GETTING CONNECTED
- SECURITY UPDATES AND PATCHES
- DISASTER MAY STRIKE AT ANY TIME
- PACK UP YOUR TROUBLES
- TAKE NOTE
- IT’S GOOD TO TALK
1) GETTING CONNECTED – Got a new computer which has never been connected to the College network? You will need to register it with PacketFence. PacketFence is the College’s computer registration system and it uses your REMOTE ACCESS credentials.
Forgotten your REMOTE ACCESS password? Never ever had a REMOTE ACCESS account? Get it sorted now before you get to Oxford.
Get a REMOTE ACCESS account here – https://register.oucs.ox.ac.uk/self/remote_access
2) ANTI-VIRUS – Make sure your Anti-Virus software is up-to-date.
FRESHERS – you can get Sophos Anti-Virus software FREE whilst you are a member of the University.
Get Sophos Anti-Virus here: https://register.oucs.ox.ac.uk/self/software
3) SECURITY UPDATES AND PATCHES – Make sure your computer has all the latest software and security updates – ie “Microsoft Windows Updates” and “Apple Software Updates”
4) PEER TO PEER FILE SHARING – REMEMBER you can save yourself over £100 in Decanal fines by making sure your Peer to Peer (P2P) and File Sharing software is uninstalled.
5) BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP – Make sure you have backed up all your work during the Vacation and also have a backup plan for the new term. Remember – a backup is AT LEAST a second copy of your work. Need some backup advice? Then come and have a chat with us in the IT Office during our Student IT Open Hour.
6) DISASTER MAY STRIKE AT ANY TIME – Make sure you have packed your computer’s Backup and Recovery DVDs.
Viruses are getting very sophisticated and very nasty. If you get a virus or malware infection the only guaranteed method of “cleaning” your system is to format the hard disk and re-install EVERYTHING. This is why your computer’s Recovery disks and regular backups are so important.
The IT Office can offer advice on creating backup and recovery disks – so come and talk to us – preferably BEFORE you start having problems.
So please take note – If you get a virus and Sophos Anti-Virus can not remove it, you will be expected to reinstall your system.
7) PACK UP YOUR TROUBLES – Pack all your computer equipment in a good strong box so things don’t get lost, forgotten or broken in transit. [ Remember your computer’s Backup and Recovery DVDs! ]
RETURNERS – Don’t forget your Ethernet cable.
FRESHERS – You can purchase a network Ethernet cable at Registration in Hall on Monday.
9) POWER – Don’t forget all your power supplies – laptop, mobile phone, MP3 player, assorted cables, chargers and adapters. Put them in your box now (see 7 above).
10) TAKE NOTE – FRESHERS – Bring a pen and notepad – there is a lot to remember and it’s best to write it down! Research shows that people remember and learn stuff far better when they have written it down on a piece of paper. You can of course then transcribe your written notes onto your computer – which gives you another opportunity to read and remember stuff! Great!
11) IT’S GOOD TO TALK – The IT Office is here to help – but please don’t leave your problems to the very last minute because like you we are all very busy!
12) PRINTING – there is new way to print in College. Just send an email with a PDF, Word or Excel attachment to :
Then use your University Bod Card barcode number to release the print job from the new Moffatt Room photocopiers. More details to issue soon.
The IT Office wishes you a very successful Michaelmas Term 2012.