A recipe for a smooth upgrade to macOS Big Sur by our colleagues at New College, Oxford.
- Close all applications.
- Restart the computer.
- Make sure all apps are still closed.
- Open Disk Utility and run checks on your system disk.
- Check for Software updates.
- If updates need to be installed, install them, and then restart again.
- Make sure you have a very recent Time Machine backup.
- Start the upgrade of macOS from the System Preferences > Software update
- Let the install run to completion.
- Took about 30 minutes on a Mac Pro – laptops may well take longer.
- Let it start up and log in.
- See which extensions it doesn’t like – make a list of names.
- Look through /Library/System/Extensions/ and see if you can identify them.
- Delete them.
- Look at the ‘Date Modified’ of the extensions and consider chucking them out if any are more than three years old.
- Restart again.
- Let Time Machine backup proceed.
- Resume normal use.
Sophos is now compatible with Big Sur (correct as at 9 April 2021).